How to get your New York State PrompTax Access Code for your business
Oct 20, 2015
You need a PrompTax Access Code to file your withholding statements electronically with the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. The steps for getting the code are not clearly spelled out anywhere, so I called and got these instructions.
Note that this assumes you already have a NY.gov for your business (the site will prompt you to set one up if you don’t have one – that’s pretty well documented).
Here are the steps:
- Log in to your Business Online Services account by going to http://www.tax.ny.gov/online/ and selecting “Log in” (I couldn’t find a direct link.
- Under Services on the left side of the page, select “Employment and withholding taxes.”
- Select “PrompTax withholding tax/MCTMT” from the expanded menu.
- Enroll in PromptTax
- After enrolling, select the “Make a payment” button at the bottom of the screen.
- Copy and paste your PrompTax Access Code from the payment screen.